Through the Be Our Voice project, the National Initiative for Children’s Healthcare Quality (NICHQ), in partnership with the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), and the California Medical Association Foundation (CMAF), is working to train and equip healthcare professionals to become childhood obesity policy advocates in their communities.
This Resource Guide was adapted from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Advocacy Guide and the California Medical Association (CMA) Foundation Media and Advocacy Toolkit.
The Advocacy Resource Guide and Toolbox has the following resources to support advocacy work outside the healthcare professional's clinic or office, including:
• A snapshot of the obesity epidemic and how it is impacting children
• A “how-to” for advocacy at your community, state and national levels
• Strategies for working with decision makers and the media to communicate your message
• Areas and opportunities for policy engagement
• Tools and resources in the Advocacy Toolbox to help you plan and support your work
This Guide and Toolbox can be used to educate individual healthcare professionals or serve as the curriculum for a wider advocacy training program.